Why Freight Forwarding is Complicated (and How to Simplify It)
Freight forwarding is a complex business that involves many different factors, each of which can add to the overall complexity of freight sales. There are multiple parties involved, including shippers, carriers, customs agents, and other logistics providers. Each of these parties may have their own processes and procedures that need to be followed, which can make the overall process more complicated. Regulations and compliance with a variety of regulations, including customs regulations, trade regulations, and safety regulations require constant attention as non-compliance can result in fines, delays, and other issues. Factors like distance, mode of transportation, and customs requirements can all affect the overall process and make it more difficult to manage. Add variability and unpredictability (factors like weather, port congestion, and unexpected delays) and it will be a perfect recipe for a nightmare. Is there a way to radically simplify it?
The Quotiss philosophy is based on the Pareto and KISS principles since the very beginning of the ‘idea stage’. Even the name “Quotiss” stands for “Quote It Smart and Simple” as an allusion to the KISS principle. The Pareto and KISS principles align with Quotiss’ goal of providing a simple, efficient, and automated platform for freight forwarding companies to streamline their sales process and improve customer satisfaction.
Let’s see how these principles and the overall simplicity approach can help freight forwarders with their business process.
Pareto Principle in Freight Forwarding
The Pareto Principle, also known as the 80/20 rule, suggests that roughly 80% of effects come from 20% of causes. This principle can be applied to the sales process in freight forwarding to simplify and prioritize sales efforts. Here are some ways to apply the Pareto Principle:
- Identify the top 20% of customers that generate 80% of your revenue. These customers should be the focus of your sales efforts as they provide the most significant impact on your business.
- Analyze the shipping patterns and needs of these top customers. This analysis can help you identify common trends and needs that can be addressed with value-added services, such as warehousing, distribution, or customs clearance.
- Develop a customized sales approach for each of these top customers. This approach should address their specific needs and preferences, making it easier for them to do business with you.
- Use technology to automate the sales process for these top customers. Implement an online portal that provides easy access to quotes, shipment status updates, and other information relevant to their shipping needs.
- Continuously monitor and analyze the performance of these top customers to identify areas for improvement and opportunities for growth.
By applying the Pareto Principle to the freight sales process, you can simplify your sales efforts and prioritize your resources to focus on the most significant revenue-generating customers. This approach can help you improve customer satisfaction and retention, resulting in long-term business growth and success.
KISS Principle in Freight Forwarding
The KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle is a design philosophy that suggests that simplicity should be a key goal in design and functionality. Here are some ways to apply the KISS principle to simplify the sales process in freight forwarding:
- Streamline the quotation process: Simplify the quotation process by offering standardized pricing for common routes and shipments. Use an online quotation system that is easy to use and provides customers with a clear breakdown of costs.
- Automate the booking process: Automate the booking process as much as possible, using an online booking system that is easy to navigate and understand.
- Use technology to simplify processes: Use technology to simplify processes and improve efficiency. For example, implement an electronic billing and payment system that is easy to use and understand.
- Provide clear communication: Use simple and straightforward language in all communication with customers. Provide customers with clear and concise communication throughout the sales process. Avoid using jargon or technical terms that may be confusing or intimidating to customers.
By applying the KISS principle to your sales process, you can simplify the shipping experience for customers, making it easier for them to do business with you. This approach can help you improve customer satisfaction and loyalty, resulting in long-term business growth and success.
The Pareto and KISS Principles are continuous improvement tools that should be applied regularly to identify areas for improvement and optimize business processes. The frequency of application will depend on the specific business process and the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Regularly review performance: freight forwarders should regularly review their performance metrics to identify areas for improvement. This can be done on a monthly or quarterly basis to track progress over time.
- Analyze data: Data analysis should be an ongoing process to identify trends and patterns that can help improve business processes. This can be done using tools such as Quotiss software.
- Process improvement: Whenever a company is looking to improve a business process, the KISS principle should be applied. By simplifying processes, companies can reduce errors, improve efficiency, and save time and money.
- Focus on high-impact areas: The Pareto Principle should be applied to high-impact areas of the business, such as the top 20% of customers that generate 80% of revenue. This analysis can be done as often as needed to identify new opportunities or changes in customer behavior.
- Continuously monitor and adjust: Business processes are dynamic and may need to be adjusted over time. The Pareto Principle should be applied continuously to monitor performance and make adjustments as needed.
By implementing these strategies, you can simplify the sales process in freight forwarding, making it easier for customers to do business with you and improving overall customer satisfaction. We believe that the right freight sales automation software can help to simplify the process and ensure that sales deals are handled efficiently and effectively.
Quotiss is a software company that provides a cloud-based platform for freight forwarding companies to simplify and automate their sales process.
Fill in this form to register for a free trial of Quotiss software. It only takes a few seconds!