The Most Popular Software in Container Shipping
The most popular computer program in workplaces all over the world is undoubtedly Microsoft Excel. Released in 1985, Excel became a superstar tool, helping businesses become more efficient. Its advanced formulas turned manual processes that took weeks to complete into something that takes only a few hours.
Today, the situation has changed. In the world where Pokemons run free on the streets and hundreds of companies are created every minute, Excel just can’t keep up with the flow. In fact, Excel was named the most dangerous software by Forbes in 2013.
So why is it still the most popular software in container shipping business? Well, maybe it doesn’t hurt bad enough yet?
You Can Do Anything With a Spreadsheet, Can You?
Container shipping industry has been married to Excel for more than 30 years. And it is still great at what it does – it’s simple, flexible, powerful and cheap. But then, it suffers from some serious limitations. And if that doesn’t scare you, I don’t know what would:
- No data sharing: Excel lacks the multi-user support. It’s difficult to share a spreadsheet among many team members. Excel might be fine for rate management when you have ten customers. It’s when you start getting massive amounts of rate requests that everything falls apart.
- Manual errors: Spreadsheets are error prone and insecure. One incorrectly entered piece of data could spawn a domino effect and cause all sorts of serious problems. Nearly 90% of spreadsheets contain errors. No wonder that every 10th invoice in shipping is disputed, because of the wrong freight.
- Unprofessional look: When you position yourself as a professional company, clients expect you to present yourself professionally. Spreadsheets lack a corporate look and feel, so they look unprofessional when you share them with clients, even if you add a logo on the corner of the page and add some footers.
- Loss of knowledge and data: There is a big business risk of relying on the single person who understands how the rate spreadsheet was put together and holds full control over it. Since Excel is ‘ordinary tool’, business managers don’t consider the need for security in the same way as they would with other data.
- Spreadsheets multiply: Excel files tend to multiply. Logistics managers have folders full of different versions of the same data. Users often put data from one spreadsheet into another, run some macros. Soon there is a need to deploy MS Access databases with a critical mass of data that is impossible to navigate and analyse.
- No real time analytics: Excel is best at analyzing historical data and is not great at doing real time analysis. Usually, decision makers put too much belief in the data in the spreadsheet, even when there is evidence that shows it is incorrect. In other words, people believe what spreadsheets say, even when they are wrong.
The Time Is Right to Leave Excel Behind
Clearly, Excel has become obsolete as a freight rate management and analytics tool and should be replaced with business intelligence. For most companies beyond a certain size that still rely on Excel as their sole business analytics tool, the pain will become more and more intense, when they realize their competitors shifted to professional rate management software.
Frankly, I think a lot of people use Excel because they had a bad experience in the past with a purchased solution that cost them a lot of frustration and money. That’s when users turn to Excel as a workaround.
Freight Forwarders Deserve Better Tools
Quotiss is a new age logistics software, which offers revolutionary approach to freight management: first Quotiss dramatically simplifies the input of freight rates into the system, and this allows to fully automate freight quotes. Freight quotes prepared by Quotiss are 100% accurate, and it literally takes 5 seconds to generate and send a quote to client.
By switching from Excel to Quotiss, you can always be on top of the freight quotes your sales reps are sending right now, in real time. You no longer need to apply complex Excel formulas to track sales performance. Most important, your commercial data always stays secure and confidential within your organization! Quotiss is a cloud-based software, we use trusted Amazon servers, which never run out of capacity.
It takes just 3 hours of training and implementation to start using Quotiss. With flexible monthly payment scheme, you don’t run a risk of getting stuck with the product that doesn’t fit your business needs.
Quotiss is the most efficient quoting software on the market – schedule a demo to see it in action!